Jurisdictions and locations of Companies House
- Companies House Cardiff Office, Crown Way, Cardiff, CF14 3UZ, is responsible for companies registered in England and Wales under English Law.
- Companies House Edinburgh Office, 2 Edinburgh Quay, 4th Floor, 139 Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, EH3 9FF is responsible for companies registered in Scotland under Scots Law.
- Companies House Belfast Office, 2nd Floor TheLinenhall, 32-38 Linenhall St, Belfast, BT2 8BG, is responsible for companies registered in Northern Ireland, under Northern Irish law.
What branch of Companies House should you use?
- A company with a registered office in either England or Wales will be incorporated by Companies House Cardiff.
- A company with a registered office in Scotland will be incorporated by Companies House Edinburgh.
- A company with a
registered office in Northern Ireland will be incorporated by Companies House
Limited companies in the UK may base their activities in any or several UK jurisdictions. It is the registered office address which must remain in the country of incorporation throughout a company’s existence.
What information can be stored at Companies House?
Companies House can store an incredible amount of corporate information. Companies House aims to maintain a culture of corporate transparency in the UK by ensuring that the information on this register is as accurate and reliable as possible. The available information and statistics are used widely by members of the public, industry, public bodies and government.
Once a company is registered, whether directly to Companies House or through an online company forming agent, the firm must provide the registry with a variety of information, update Companies House of any changes after company formation, and file certain documents every year. Companies House stores the following information:
- Company incorporation date
- Name of the company and company registration number
- Registered office address
- UK jurisdiction of incorporation
- Company types (limited by shares, limited by guarantee, or limited liability partnership)
- Details of directors, company secretaries, shareholders or guarantors, people with significant control (PSCs), and LLP members, including other past or present company appointments held by each individual
- SIC codes i.e. what the business does
- Any changes made to company details and appointments
- Filed statutory documents, including annual accounts and confirmation statements
- Notices of late or missed statutory document filings
- Mortgage charge data
- Disqualified directors
- Insolvency information
- Compulsory or voluntary strike-off action
- Details of dissolved companies
Services of Companies House
Company search services
You can use WebCHeck and Companies House Services to search the register, find information on any limited company in the UK (which also includes dissolved companies or disqualified directors) or view/download images of records.
Companies House Service, which is formerly known as Companies House BETA, will ultimately replace WebCHeck. Moreover, unlike WebCHeck, it is not required to register your details to use the new service.
A feature called Follow is included in Companies House Service, which permits users to register their details to receive free email alerts of limited company filings. This alert provides instant notification of approved documents filed by any registered limited company that you choose to' follow'. You can download a copy of the documents free of charge.
You can also search and access company information by using the Companies House mobile app.
Company filing services
You can use Companies House WebFiling to file information and documents online for your business. This service is available to all UK limited companies, enabling secure delivery of accounts, confirmation statements, notices of changes to company details, and registration of charges. You can also use WebFiling to sign up for email reminders of your filing deadlines.
Centre for information
- A public search room for accessing digital services to find information on UK limited companies
- Help and advice from Companies House staff
- Checking your company record, including filing deadlines
- Ordering copies of company documents, including certified copies and certificates
- Document filing services, including company formation applications
- Making changes to your company record
- Receiving company filings by post
Improvements in the company register
Companies House introduced a new facility to make further improvements in the company register in July 2018.
Companies House introduced a new system to further strengthen the business registry in July 2018. A convenient extension to the Companies House service, the' report it now' service allows customers to alert Companies House of any mistakes and issues related to the data held on the register, as well as suspicious business activity.
Companies House will have more authority to review and challenge records, conduct identity tests on people who set up and control firms or request for more evidence to support significant changes to a company.